We specialise in drafting engineering and construction tender responses across Australia. From large scale PPP projects, to major infrastructure projects and high rise construction, we have helped some of the leading Top and Mid Tier players in the construction industry secure billion dollar contracts across Australia.
Our approach is simple. We methodically and systematically tackle the tender process head-on. Our writers cut through any internal roadblocks, work collaboratively with all joint venture partners and stakeholders, and deliver results.
Major construction and engineering projects our bid writers have worked on
Examples of major projects our team has worked on include:
- Central Station Redevelopment Project: We assisted a Tier 1 construction company with their bid to Transport for NSW for the redevelopment of Central Station in Sydney. Our client was shortlisted to the top three bids, but was ultimately unsuccessful. We worked as part of a 40 person bid team combining the internal engineering teams of two corporations as well as a range of external consultants. The bid process followed the typical bronze, silver and gold stages. Our writers were also involved in regular progress meetings and consultations with the government to ensure the bid was progressing. We worked closely with all stakeholders including graphic designers to ensure a quality submission and navigated multiple internal disagreements between internal stakeholders.
- M5 Tunnel Project: Our team members, led by Jason Cooney, provided bid and tender writing support for the M5 Tunnel project bid including a number of service and maintenance bids. We were instrumental in project managing the bid process, writing CVs and developing case studies and methodology statements. This was one of the first major projects we worked on and one we are particularly proud of.
- City West Link and the M7: We assisted a Tier-1 construction and infrastructure company with this submission. It was complicated by the fact that this was the second bid the company had completed in Australia and their documentation was in its relevant infancy. Although they had comprehensive technical knowledge, they lacked the supporting documentation associated with safety, environment and quality. Our team created a substantial amount of precedent documentation for safety and other requirements. We also worked with local translators to translate key documentation, especially technical input from overseas based engineers, to ensure a timely submission.
Bid writers that specialise in major projects to help you win
Our team of specialist tender and bid writers understand the importance of adopting a clear, concise writing style as well as project managing the various moving parts in the tender response process.
By far, some of the most comprehensive and detail-orientated tenders arise within the engineering/construction industries. Their requirements for goods and services are extensive and it is necessary that safety precautions and the supply of the right equipment for the job are provided in order to satisfy the procurer. You need to convince the government that you are the right company, with the best methodology, most appropriate design and best value. You also need to demonstrate your previous experience both nationally and overseas in similar construction projects.
A simple, efficient and concise writing style will convince the reader of this. General marketing ‘fluff’ can frustrate the reader and create skepticism for members of the procurement panel with extensive construction and infrastructure experience.
Our tender writers will:
- Provide advice on bid/no bid. Given the significant resources to submit a bid or tender for a large construction project, it is critical that you conduct a robust bid / no bid process prior to deciding to bid.
- Communicate with your internal stakeholders to collate information. We will work closely with all your internal stakeholders including subject matter experts and technical personnel in order to gather the necessary input and information. Our team has the soft skills to manage different personalities and get the best out of them.
- Draft your response. We write major project and infrastructure bids in a simple and concise manner. We have worked on bids in all states across Australia including in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, Northern Territory, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia. When working on bids in Perth or regional South Australia, we work
- Put the whole document together for submission and draft necessary supporting documentation. This is often the most challenging component of the tender and bid preparation process. Project managing the multitude of different stakeholders, and personalities requires a methodical and coordinated process. Our team of writer, and head bid managers have the gravitas and confidence to manage the bid and ensure a successful submission.
The importance of highlighting experience in the tender submission
For large construction and infrastructure projects, comprehensively showcasing your experience is essential to winning the bid. Providing a brief overview of large scale infrastructure projects with a few flashy pictures doesn’t do the trick anymore.
Many procurement experts and technical personnel will take a close look at the experience of your personnel, as well as the experience of your company as a whole. You need to:
- Detail the experience and expertise of each of your personnel and how it relates to the project. Talk about their qualifications, skillset including soft skills and suitability to the project. Where they have relevant previous experience, focus on it and draw it out into a mini case study. This is highly relevant experience that needs to be highlighted to the reader. Beyond that, talk about their general experience throughout their career and link it to the soft-skills and other skills and technical expertise they will deploy to complete the project. You need to tailor each CV to the specific project you are working on. For example, if it is a major tunneling project for a government client, talk about your team members experience delivering large scale projects to government. Incorporating a direct quote in your tender or bid response from each of your personnel is also beneficial.
- Where you don’t have the depth of personnel to complete the project, there are a few strategies you can adopt in order to navigate your way to a successful submission. Firstly, you may consider putting forward a plan about how your personnel will acquire the skillsets prior to commencement. This is mainly possible for qualifications related to safety or another accreditation. You can also consider involving a sub-contractor with the appropriate specialised expertise and experience, or entering into a joint venture agreement with another firm.
- Provide highly detailed and relevant case studies. You need to carefully assess your case studies. Firstly, look at the strength of your referees and the relevance of your previous works to the current project. You also need to marry this up with the key skills and expertise the proposed project required. Finally, go into detail. Talk in detail about the previous projects you delivered, your safety record, quality and environmental record, what key challenges you overcame and who they key personnel involved in the bid were. You also need to talk about how if those key personnel will be involved in the proposed bid.
Here at the Tender Team, we assist many of these companies taking the next step by helping them form a positive and informative tender and bid proposal for major construction and infrastructure projects that will appeal to the procurer. We work closely with companies across Australia, including in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin and Perth, to ensure they effectively convey their experience in the best possible light. We will work with you and your internal stakeholders to ensure that all of your relevant experience is conveyed.
Conveying technical knowledge in Engineering and Construction bids
More so than other industries, engineering and construction tender responses are often sparse on highly descriptive tender responses and usually favour industry-specific substantive answers.
There is an emphasis, due to the nature of the work, on technical details over policy matter and it goes without saying that technical responses are difficult to vary without misrepresenting the info on hand.
The Tender Team however are adept at cohesively structuring the technical knowledge provided by our clients. We ensure that the substantive matter of this info is not ruined and that we do everything possible to present it in an as easy-to-digest manner as possible for the procurer. Despite many procurement professionals being grizzled industry veterans who have been deeply involved in the engineering/construction project processes necessary, the Tender Team’s ability to make their lives just a bit easier with well-presented documents is always appreciated.
It must be said that interpreting tender responses for engineering/construction can become repetitive as there is often little degree provided by procurers to allow for variations in the documents.
Any tenderer can increase the chances of a successful bid by providing as many relevant addenda as possible to the contract on offer, notwithstanding the additional documents required. Being able to cover all bases in terms of engineering/construction resources and skill-sets available, the tenderer will have provided a competitive bid that will ensure a second look from the procurer on hand.
These tender responses are often based on the same universal engineering/construction concepts used worldwide but differing only due to region-specific regulations and laws.
We are not only experienced in Australian and Singaporean tender responses but are now expanding our services to other countries, offering them a level of service and experience for all their tender needs.
Construction and infrastructure companies we have written bids and tenders for include:
- Hansen Yuncken
- Lend Lease
- John Holland
- Laing O’Rourke
- Fulton Hogan
- WeBuild (Salini Impreglio)
- Downer EdI
- Bouygues Construction
Feel free to call our Director, Jason Cooney, anytime on 0410 448 770 or email email@example.com to make your tenders and bids in line with industry best practice and win more engineering and construction tender responses.