What it takes to win engineering contracts
Engineering tenders are often complex and sometimes very lucrative. From small contracts for the provision of specialist consulting services to large multi-billion dollar projects, a formal procurement process is almost always adopted. Irrespective of the size of the contract, to be successful in engineering tenders and bids you generally need to:
- Present a professional, polished and well designed bid. This often involves graphics and infographics, particularly in order to present complex engineering solutions in a simple and easy to understand manner. There is no need for generic marketing material or collateral. The procurement personnel generally see straight through that. You do need to show that you have consistent styling throughout your bid that aligns with your website, and that you have the credibility from a branding and proposal presentation perspective of a professional service provider. Generally speaking, the larger the bid, the more graphics and infographics required.
- Provide a detailed response – and clearly highlight critical details throughout your bid or tender. This applies across all aspects of your response. From previous experience, to machinery and equipment, and the expertise of your personnel, the detail matters. You need to write a comprehensive response to each question that is tailored and relevant. Throughout your proposal or bid, there will be details that you want to highlight to draw the attention of the reader. For example, let’s assume you are mid tier engineering consultancy with 70 personnel. You may have four personnel with extensive expertise in tunnels. If you are bidding to provide design services for a major tunnel project, you will need to highlight the tunnel related experience of your personnel. In addition, let’s then assume that of your previous tunnel related experience, two of the projects were of similar size and scope to the proposed project. This will need to be highlighted with key details of the project, including key challenges and how they were overcome, detailed as part of the bid.
- Take a broad and open minded approach to answering each question. In order to score full marks for each question you need to cover all bases. For example, when asked to provide a case study for a previous project / experience, you shouldn’t just talk about the technical aspects of delivering the project. You should look at the project more broadly and talk about safety performance, quality control, challenges overcome and innovation. Don’t restrict the scope of your response to a strictly engineering or technical response.
- The in-house resources to deliver a quality bid. A robust bid/no bid process is a necessity. Once yo have decided to bid for the project, you need to allocate the appropriate in-house resources. Put a strong bid team together with a bid manager and support writer, as well as technical specialists, engineers and other stakeholders. Treat the bid as a must-win. Put forward a detailed response and competitive market pricing.
How our team of bid writers can help you
Our team of bid writers have helped hundreds of engineering and construction companies secure government engineering and major project contracts. Our team can help your organisation:
- Conduct the bid no bid process. Put a framework in place to qualify opportunities. We can assist you to identify potential joint venture partners if required especially for larger infrastructure projects or for projects which require highly specialised expertise you may not have in-house. We will help you identify the tender opportunities if you do not already have alerts set up.
- Write the tender response. We will work closely with your in-house SMEs such as engineers, safety personnel and quality personnel to gather the necessary information to write your bid. Where there is highly technical input provided by your engineers or other subject matter experts, we will re-write this to ensure it is easy to read and understand by the reader without losing any context. We will brainstorm and storyboard each response to ensure you put forward a comprehensive answer.
- Review your response. Where you have an in-house team of writers to complete your bid, you may consider employing us as a second set of eyes to peer review it. We will review your draft response and provide purely constructive feedback that may benefit your team. Of particular focus will be your response structure to each question – making sure you answer the question comprehensively so you can score the maximum points available.
- Project manage the bid process and produce quality graphics. Project managing a large bid is one of the most challenging aspects to bid management. Our team have experience project managing bids for major infrastructure projects across Australia with bid teams of up to fifty personnel. We have the gravitas to manage sensitive political issues within bid teams and take a proactive, methodical approach to managing bids. We manage online bid rooms and also have a team of two graphic designers that help ensure engineering bids we work on are professional, polished and concise.
Knowing your audience in engineering and infrastructure tenders and review panels
When drafting engineering tenders it is equally important to know your audience and keep them in mind. More often than not, the procurement or decision-making panel consists of personnel who are not trained engineers. Our consultants have a range of engineering backgrounds coupled with the writing skills and experience to appeal to and persuade a range of audiences. Some of the procurement personnel may be administrators, procurement specialists or third party advisors. Where there are benefits of your bid that you consider to be obvious or completely standard, these may need to be highlighted to appeal to the audience.
Our experience with engineering bids entails:
- Project managing multi-billion dollar bids for national and international companies. These include for large highways, bridges, infrastructure projects, defence projects and tunnels.
- Complying with Australian laws and regulations and coordinating the supportive documentation. We have helped write supporting documentation for a range of projects and for difference purposes such as indigenous engagement plans.
- Leading the tender process from end-to-end
- Developing proposals for boutique firms with unique expertise
- Coordinating translation of bids where expertise are sourced from overseas offices
- Depicting complex engineering and infrastructure solutions in a graphical manner
- Coordinating joint-venture proposals and liaising with joint-venture partners
A number of our consultants have held senior procurement positions in large infrastructure organizations and have a unique understanding of what organizations are looking for. We have helped hundreds of organizations win engineering tenders on some of the largest infrastructure projects in Australia including several PPP projects. Recent examples include:
- The North West Rail Link
- M5 West Widening Project
- Christchurch City Rebuild (Geo-technical and Seismic Professional Services)
If you’re interested in an easier, more efficient way to manage your construction bids and tenders, have a chat with us. We are your one-stop shop for services related to tender writing in Australia.
Even people who are veterans in the construction industry find it challenging to develop bids and tenders efficiently. By working with our team, you can streamline the tender process and increase your chances for success. If you are a small or newly formed company asking yourself how to write a tender proposal, are looking for guidance on how to write tenders, or simply need assistance writing a tender proposal, we’re the right fit for you.
We know what goes into a great construction bid. When it comes to tender writing in Australia, we have experience in pitching for both government and commercial procurement opportunities. Our writing consultants are skilled in the following areas:
- Drafting well-constructed technical construction bids
- Bid quality audit and tender review
- Construction tender submission management
- Professional layout and design
- Bid response development
- Bid writer recruitment
- Tender submission and documentation
We are adept at preparing winning tenders because we understand the key elements essential to tender writing in Australia. We make it a point to address your needs and meet your specific requirements. Our company is made up of professional tender writers and tender managers, each of whom has a wealth of experience. Regardless of your industry, we will work with you to develop a comprehensive strategy that will showcase your company’s strengths.
Call us today
For assistance with your next engineering tender, call our Director on 0410 448 770 or send through your documentation. Regardless of if you only want to review some tender writing examples or require assistance with a major response, we can assist. Our team specializes in proposal writing in Australia across a range of industries. We’re based in Sydney and service business across Australia and New Zealand. Our writers are located in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Darwin.
We have worked with clients of all sizes in different capacities. Whatever stage your business may be at, we are is interested in your growth. Tendering is a great way to access lucrative work contracts and bring in more profit. Don’t waste valuable opportunities with ineffective, badly structured proposals.