IT and telecommunications tenders can be a great way to win new business and an equally dangerous way of losing existing business. They are often complex and involve multiple service offerings. Contract sizes vary from small managed services contracts to large scale telecommunications infrastructure initiatives.
Our team has experience in writing a full range of IT and telecommunications bids including responding to RFT and RFQs for:
- Hardware Procurement: Acquisition of computer hardware such as servers, workstations, networking equipment, and mobile devices. These are both private and public sector clients.
- Software Procurement: Purchase of software licenses, operating systems, productivity software, and specialized applications.
- Network Design and Installation: Planning, design, and deployment of wired and wireless network infrastructure. We have helped clients write bids and proposals for the installation of network infrastructure.
- Telecommunications Services: Provision of voice and data communication services, including telephone lines, internet connectivity, and virtual private networks (VPNs).
- Data Center Services: Construction, maintenance, and management of data center facilities, including cooling, power, and security. This includes helping consultants bid for work to large data centre providers.
- Cloud Services: Procurement or setup of cloud computing services, including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS). We have assisted clients to write bids for contracts internationally.
- Managed IT Services: Outsourced IT support and management, which can include helpdesk support, system monitoring, and maintenance.
- Cybersecurity Services: Implementation of security measures, including firewall setup, intrusion detection, and vulnerability assessments. Our experience also includes helping Cyber consultants provide consulting services to the government sector.
- Unified Communications: Integration of various communication channels, such as email, instant messaging, voice, and video conferencing.
- IT Consulting: Expert advice on technology strategy, architecture, and system optimization. We have helped consultants bid for work to the government and private sector.
- Telecom Infrastructure Deployment: Building and maintaining telecommunications infrastructure, including towers, cables, and transmission equipment.
- Data Storage and Backup Solutions: Implementation of data storage solutions and backup systems to ensure data availability and recovery.
- VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) Services: Deployment of internet-based phone systems for voice communication.
- IT Training and Certification: Training programs for IT staff to enhance their skills and certifications. Our clients include training providers who are bidding to both government and the private sector to provide training to their in-house IT teams as well as employees.
- Network Security Audits: Assessments of network security vulnerabilities and recommendations for improvements.
- IT Project Management: Project planning, execution, and oversight for IT and telecom projects.
- Wireless Solutions: Deployment of Wi-Fi networks, mobile device management, and mobile application development.
- ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Implementation: Integration and customization of ERP software to streamline business operations.
- Disaster Recovery Planning: Developing strategies and solutions for data and system recovery in case of emergencies.
- Vendor Management: Managing relationships with technology vendors and suppliers.
- IT and Telecom Auditing Services: Independent audits to assess the efficiency, security, and compliance of IT and telecom systems.
- Green IT and Sustainability Solutions: Implementing environmentally friendly and energy-efficient IT and telecom solutions.
- IoT (Internet of Things) Solutions: Design and deployment of IoT devices and platforms for data collection and analysis.
Challenges and opportunities in IT and Telecommunications Tenders
First and foremost, a thorough bid / no bid analysis is critical to ensure you qualify the opportunity. There is a significant opportunity cost involved in putting together a quality bid and you will need to draw on resources from across your organisation. There is no point in going to all the effort to submit a tender if you do not have reasonable prospects of success.
A thorough bid / no bid analysis will help you decide if the opportunity contract fits your business and if you have a strong chance of winning it.
IT and Telecommunications contracts often provide the opportunity to expand the service offerings within your business. This can be through bidding for a tender where you have 90% of the requisite expertise, and adding an additional service area (for example hosting services) to your capabilities as part of a tender, or by becoming a supplier or reseller of an additional product as part of your response.
For each tender, you will need to submit a technically correct tender response. Be mindful of the fact that often members of the procurement panel have no IT expertise, and rely on advice from subject matter experts. You may need to satisfy members of the procurement panel with minimal IT knowledge some of whom are more interested in corporate procurement practices rather than technical information.
Strategies and tips to win more IT and Telecommunications contracts
Writing style – It is important to adopt a clear and concise writing style. Always use the active voice and personalise your writing. Where you are using content or text from existing tender or marketing material, take the time to tailor the content so it is directly focused on the opportunity.
Generally speaking with information technology tenders there is a lot of technical terminology. It’s important that you keep in mind that not all the readers will be technically focused. Therefore, use simple English where possible and leverage on graphics and infographics to summarise complex solutions and present them in an easy to understand manner.
Attach evidence – Any company can write just about anything in a tender response. It’s not unusual for companies to embellish their experience and extend beyond the truth. So how do you cut through to the reader? By gaining credibility. One of the best ways to gain credibility with the reader is to provide evidence in your bid. Examples of evidence that will enhance your bid include:
- Images (photos) of your personnel and products and services.
- Testimonials from previous clients
- Certificates of accreditation from independent bodies.
- Certificates of compliance from suppliers.
- Letters and testimonials from your major vendors detailing their experience in dealing with you and outlining their awareness of your bid.
- Plans and procedures that support what you have written in your bid. For example, quality assurance plans and disaster recovery plans to complement your responses to quality and business continuity related questions.
Providing a detailed mobilisation/implementation plan
Irrespective of whether you are providing a service, software, or physical product, you will need to provide in your bid, a detailed implementation or mobilization plan.
Your implementation plan must go beyond the technical side of the implementation. You need to demonstrate that you have through the project thoroughly. Will you establish meetings to gain a better understanding of their needs? Will your administration personnel work with the client to establish reporting and admin protocols for the contract? Will you work with the client to establish a contact list of key stakeholders to ensure your stakeholder communication is effective? Will you be conducting an initial deep-dive to further flesh out what was provided in the specifications and flesh out and tailor your service offering?
All of the above, as well as a detailed explanation of your proposed transition process, need to be covered in the implementation plan.
Take a long term view of the project – a key theme that should be apparent throughout your bid is your commitment to the long term. You need to demonstrate your ability to act on continuous improvement initiatives.
Talk about how you will innovate and evolve throughout the contract. Demonstrate that you have thought through the contract, and if you are providing a product, focus on quality over the long term.
It’s also important you address any key person risk issues. For example, what happens if your proposed client relationship manager is unavailable for a substantial period of time? Who will be the replacement and what protocols do you have in place to manage any changeover.
Where there are potential issues or changes in the service, it’s important to discuss these in your bid. Demonstrate that you have solutions for them. For example – talk about your proposed schedule to make any upgrades to your service or product, when you anticipate these will occur, and how you will manage the process.
How we can help
We understand the deep industry knowledge and terminology required to successfully draft winning IT tenders. We combine this technical knowledge with our ability to write with flair and style, in order to produce engaging IT tenders. We can work as an extension of your team, plugging key gaps if you have limited capacity, or alternatively, take on full control of your bid and ensure it is successfully submitted to a high standard.
Our consultants will work closely with you throughout the tender process to ensure all available and relevant knowledge within your business. We will draft content in simple English where applicable, and ensure your bid is professional and exciting. Our experience with IT tenders integrates well with our experience in equipment supply tenders, ensuring we bring a holistic approach to your tender response.
Our service includes drafting tenders and bids on IT advice, software engineering, network engineering and IT equipment supply. Our clients include large information technology suppliers such as Toshiba as well as small remote service organisations.
Developing a bid library and introducing Generative AI to write your bids more efficiently
Over the past year, there has been an increased focus on ChatGPT and other software packages being used for the benefit of writing tenders more efficiently. Here at The Tender Team, we believe there is significant merit in this approach and often recommend our clients investigate different software packages. We assist you in identifying, purchasing and implementing the correct solution and pride ourselves on our independence approach as we are not aligned to any specific provider.
Our team is available to assist you on a 24/7 basis on 0410 448 770. We take the hassle out of IT tenders. This gives you more time to focus on your business and your incumbent client relationships. We help companies across Australia including in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Darwin, Canberra and Hobart. We also service all parts of regional Australia.
Email your tender documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for an immediate fee proposal.